Jan 31, 2008

A Little Family Folklore




With the passing of our dear President Hinckley my mind has been flooding with memories of him through the years. President Hinckley had a strong impact on our family growing up long before he became the prophet. When my dad was a young stake president in San Jose, CA, Elder Hinckley was our first general authority to come stay at our house. When Dad brought him home we all came to the front door to greet him. He leaned down to shake hands with my little brother Brett who was about 2 at the time. He reached out his hand and said, "Well hello little fella" to which Brett responded by kicking him as hard as he could in the shins!!! I guess he wasn't sure about who this man was who had caused such a fuss in family preparations all day. Elder Hinckley smiled and was cute with him while a tear was running down his cheek from the pain. It cracks me up to think of my mom scrubbing bathrooms, washing sheets, making a nice dinner, cleaning up the kids never imagining that it would all be overshadowed in an instant by a swift kick to the shins! Ahhh, motherhood - it keeps us humble.

Cut to about 7 years later and my dad was opening the Ecuador Mission. Elder Hinckley was assigned as our general authority again. We were getting dinner on and we couldn't find Brett. Mom sent me to find him. I finally did - hiding under his bed in his room. He had heard the story through the years and was afraid Elder Hinckley was going to be mad at him! Well I brought him down and told everyone what was going on. Elder Hinckley was so cute - he started sharing all these funny stories about notoriously wild kids of the stake presidents that they had to go stay with. He had us all in stitches and had Brett feeling alot better about himself.

Several years ago I was at Education Week with my parents - going to hear my same brother Brett who now draws hundreds for his classes there. I was walking along with my dad when he received a phone call from President Hinckley. He was asking him if he and my mother would serve as Temple Presidents of the Guatemala Temple. Mom had just started having some troubling health concerns at that time. But neither of them could imagine saying anything but "yes" to their beloved prophet.

3 comments:

Quarantine Coronacation said...

Wow, great stories. What a character he is. I miss him so much. It is amazing how much love can be transmitted through photos because I just look at a picture of him and feel so loved by him.

He was truly a man of God.

Heaven is celebrating his return.

I sure love you Adie,

stacy

nicole said...

I love these stories mom, reminds me of my childhood always hearing these stories and many other Uncle Brett stories. Too funny.

He is such a sweet man, I will miss him.

Thanks for sharing.

shannon davis said...

I had no clue that you had so many updates on your blog! It was so exciting to catch up on all the recent posts. What cool stories about our dear Prophet. I had no idea your family was that connected to him. Keep the posts coming.